Click Here to putchase Plas-T-Pair and Quick Compo

This Old Doll Hospital
Molding with Plas-T-Pair and Quick Compo
Shirley's twin sister is in the hospital with big problems. Not the least is the front half of her foot is gone! Shirley is going to let us make a mold from her foot with Plas-T-Pair so we can restore her sister's foot by molding one out of Quick Compo.
We'll be using the following supplies:

Quick Compo
Plas-T-Pair
Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
A metal coffee can lid
A plastic coffee can lid
a razor blade
an old or disposable knife
Sanding Pads
Mineral Spirits
Talcum Powder
Shirley's good foot
(if Shirley had been too scared to let
me us use her foot, I could have found another
doll with a foot the same size and shape.)
First I coat Shirley's foot with Vaseline. This is very important because we don't want the Plas-T-Pair to stick to Shirley's skin. If this Shirley had any cuts or chips on her foot, she would not have been a good candidate for this procedure because the vaseline would have been hard to wipe off when we're finished. I also put Vaseline on the metal can lid so the Plas-T-Pair won't stick to it, either.
I pour some Plas-T-Pair powder on the metal can lid and then add just enough Plas-T-Pair liquid to melt the powder into a puddle. I use the knife to stir it until it's about the consistency of thick paint.
Plas-T-Pair sets up very quickly once it's mixed so I don't waste any time standing Shirley'f foot in the puddle. Once the Plas-T-Pair is hard, I'll have a nice footprint.
I lift Shirley's foot out of the hardened Plas-T-Pair and now I coat the footprint with Vaseline, too. I'm going to mold the top of the foot with more Plas-T-Pair and I don't want the two parts to stick together or I won't be able to get Shirley's foot out! Just to be safe, I put a little more Vaseline on Shirley's foot, too.
Now Shirley's foot is back in the hardened footprint. I mix Plas-T-Pair on the plastic lid this time, adding enough liquid as I stir to make a putty. My hands have vaseline on them so the mixture won't stick to my fingers while I work the putty around the top of Shirley's foot and between her toes. I'm careful not to cover the footprint because I need to be able to lift this top part off when it hardens.
Ten minutes have passed and I can lift the top Plas-T-Pair mold off Shirley's foot and lift Shirley's foot off the footprint. Now I wipe Shirley's foot with a paper towel with a little mineral spirits on it to get rid of most of the Vaseline and she can put her shoes back on. Her part of this process is finished. Thanks, Shirley! (such a good girl.)
So we have a mold and it's time for the bad foot and the Quick Compo. I put the bad foot into the footprint making sure the heel is pushed as far back into the mold as it will go.
I cut off a piece from the stick of Quick Compo and knead it thoroughly. Next I push the Quick Compo into the broken foot and push down into the footprint to make a platform for the rest of the foot. When this is hard (about six minutes) I put the platform against the doll's other foot and make sure they're the same size and shape. If it's too small, I push the foot further back into the footprint and fill the front with more Quick Compo (more kneading). If it's too large, I trim it off by sanding it into the right size and shape.
Now the platform will insure that the two feet are mirror images of each other at lease in size. This is important if I want this doll to be able to have shoes that fit her.
Now I knead up more Quick compo and take a stab at sculpting a foot. It doesn't have to be perfect but the better the shape, the less fiddling I'll have to do to get the top part of the mold over it to really shape it for me.
Finally I push the Plas-T-Pair top onto the Quick Compo and lift it off right way. I don't want the Quick Compo to cure inside the mold because it might not lift off and I want to be able to trim it up while it's still soft.
The Quick Compo is hard now, and although I have toes, the shape of the foot needs trimming up.
I used a sanding pad to trim off the ends of the toes and to smooth out the contour of the foot.
And here's the foot, complete with toes and toe nails and ready to rejoin the rest of the doll in the hospital. By the time these two feet are airbrushed with several coats of paint, it will be impossible to tell which foot was replaced.
If you have a doll with this problem and think this might work for you, but you don't have an airbrush or your doll isn't this far gone, you might try daubing acrylic paint on the foot with a plastic sponge. The spong will keep you from getting brush strokes. Let it dry between coats and give it a few coats. Finish with the last coat of paint mixed with some acrylic varnish to get a satin or semi-gloss finish. The Ceramacoat paint in the little 2 ounce bottles from JoAnne Fabrics or on the web. It's a good choice for both compo and hard plastic dolls. Personally, I prefer the paint that's most similar to what these dolls originally were made with - oil base paint but in some states this isn't available, anymore and really, it needs an airbrush to go on right. Just to paint a foot, well, worrying about it might be considered overkill.



You can Click Here to putchase Plas-T-Pair, Quick Compo and Sanding pads.



Click here to return to the home page of ThisOldDoll